South East of England in Photos
Photos taken on walks in the Cities, Towns & Villages of South East England
Book Flights – Flights + Hotels – Car Rental – Attractions – Airport Taxies
Alfriston is a village and civil parish in the Wealden district of East Sussex, England. The main village is located five miles north-east of Eastbourne, one mile inland from Pevensey Bay. The settlement of Pevensey Bay forms part of the parish. It was here that William the Conqueror made the landing in his invasion of England in 1066 after crossing the English Channel from Normandy, France.
The village lies in the valley of the River Cuckmere, about four miles north-east of Seaford and south of the main A27 trunk road and part of the large area of Polegate. The parish had a population of 829 at the 2011 census.
The Alfriston parish church, dedicated to St Andrew, has Saxon origins, although most of the building dates from the 14th century. It is known, because of its size, as the Cathedral of the South Downs. It sits on a small, flint-walled mound in the middle of “the Tye” (the local village green), overlooking the River Cuckmere. The Church is surrounded by the flowered graveyard in which the Nobel laureate Sir Peter Medawar and the Labour politician Denis Healey are buried. It is built in the form of a cross. Wikipedia
Approximately 0.92 miles – 1.49 km
The walk starts in North Road – West Street – Waterloo Square – High Street – The Tye – High Street – Waterloo Square – North Street – Sloe Lane
Video of Walk in
Map of Walk in
Tourist & Transport